Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Caramel Frosted Brownies

Awhile ago I was in a doctor's office waiting room and came across a recipe from the foodnetwork that used caramels to make a cupcake frosting. Well, I didn't get a chance to write down the recipe, but I asked Anna at cookiemadness.net if she knew of a similar recipe and she found this one for me at http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m122302.htm#4 I thought that it would go well with chocolate so I decided to try it on a pan of brownies I made for work. The brownies were just a dark chocolate box mix from Betty Crocker.

CARAMEL ICING

Ingredients :
1 lb. Kraft caramels
1/2 c. hot water
1 c. sweet butter or margarine
1 c. confectioners' sugar

Preparation :

Place caramels and water in double boiler, heat and stir until a
smooth cream is obtained. Allow to cool. Place butter in mixing
bowl. Add sugar; mix at low speed to obtain a smooth paste. Mix at

medium speed adding above cool caramel cream gradually. Note: If
stiffer icing is desired, reduce amount of water.

* I definitely did not let the caramel cool long enough, it melted the butter and never firmed up. They way I did it would be best used as a drizzle-glaze. I was hoping for a more fluffy icing. However, the caramel-brownie combination was super-sweet and really yummy.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Nick said...

loooookin pretty delicious!