Monday, June 30, 2008

Apple Caramel Cookies

Once again I was browsing the internet at work (Shhhh!) and found this recipe at bakingblonde.wordpress.com , and when I looked over to our fruit table, there was one wonderful Granny Smith apple sitting there. So I definitely had no excuse not to make these! Plus, I had just seen the caramel bits at WalMart and wanted to try them out so I picked some up and made these really yummy cookies.

Apple Jacks

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup apple chopped (I would small dice 1 small-medium granny smith apple)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Kraft Carmel bits

Preheat oven to 350.
Line baking sheet with Parchment or lightly spray with PAM.
In a large bowl stir together the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
Beat the butter with a mixer and add the sugar, vanilla and egg and beat until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
Fold in the apple pieces (and any other add-ins).
Drop the dough onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart (these spread a bit).
Bake for 9-12 minutes or until light brown and edges are set. Allow to cool slightly on baking sheet and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


NOTE: *DO NOT store completely covered or they will be very very soft and not hold up well due to the moisture in the apples. Storing loosely covered in the fridge helps them keep their texture, however then the Caramel Bits get hard.



*While I was chopping the apple, I squirted it with some lemon juice because I was afraid of it turning brown! The apple really held up in the baking process, stayed nice and white colored and kept a good little crunch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

bakingblonde said...

YUM! I had forgotten how long it's been since I had made those! Yours look so delicious!