So I found this recipe online, and my friend Caitlyn's birthday was coming up so I saved it and made it this past Monday for her birthday. The cake was super moist, and the icing was AMAZING but you should totally double the recipe for it, because everyone wanted more icing than cake. Also, I wasn't sure how to add the boiling water because I didn't know if it was 1 cup before or after it boiled, and I boiled it in the microwave so I had to scoop it into the mixture with a measuring cup to make it exact. Also, I did not have enough vegetable oil, so i just used slightly less and slightly less flour and cocoa. Which makes me wonder about Rachael Ray who says she doesn't bake because it is so exact, yet I estimate things all the time and they turn out ok!!! And, I made it in one 13X9inch pan because I couldn't find two 9inch ones and it took 28 minutes in my oven.
Hershey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Cake
• 2 cups sugar
• 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 cup boiling water
• "ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.
"ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter, Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
Here are pics: