I found this recipe online from the 2002 winner of the Good Morning America's Christmas Cookie Contest. I took an orange from work and used half the zest IN the cookies and half the zest in the glaze. The glaze is just what I've been making for all of my lemon or lime desserts: eyeball some veg oil, some milk or water, zest, and powdered sugar. The veg. oil is the key I think. Be careful not to burn these cookies!!! They are very good soft.
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon grated orange rind
1 egg, unbeaten
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla, orange rind and egg. Mix well.
3. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
4. Drop from teaspoon on un-greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes or until light brown. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar immediately after removing from oven.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
*I only got 3 dozen cookies out of this recipe.